Mobile phone and digital camera are must-brought-items wherever I go. It's easier to carry them when I use my double zippers pouch. The pouch has two part inside, side by side. Double zippers pouch is one of the most challenging items that I have made. Nonetheless, trying to make a double zippered pouch is fun! Especially when I managed to solve the mystery on how to make this pouch much easier and faster.
Without further ado, let's check the tutorial! And if you're interested, we have a pattern you can purchase in Here.
- Fabric for main body W 24 x L 25 cm
- Fusible interfacing 24 x 25 cm
- Fabric for the tag W 5 x L 6 cm
- Fabrics for lining (make 2) W 21,5 x L 22,5 cm (L1 & L2)
- Dacron/or Batting (make 2) 21,5 x 22,5 cm
- 2 zippers (25cm at least. Highly preferable to use wide zipper)
How to make
1. Iron the fusible interfacing to the main body.
Make a mark at the center of the main fabric and the zippers.
Fold fabric in half, both vertical and horizontal, then cut a little bit the center fold. Or you just can mark it with chalk.
2. Sew the zippers together and tack every the end of the zipper (to make sure the slider is not going anywhere).
Meet the bad side of the wide part, sew together (see the picture). Turn it out again so the good side is facing out. Iron, fold in half, and sew it to the left or right side of the main body, at half length of your main body (around 12,5 cm from top).
4. Sew zippers to the main body.
Meet the good side of the zipper (both sides) with the good side on the both top of the main body (you have to fold the main body in half). Meet the center mark of your zip with the center mark of your main body.
5. Once you finished sewing the zipper, flatten the fabric with the zipper in the middle (see picture). Sew both open sides and mark a parallel line, 4 cm from all sides (see picture).
6. Square all four the corners.
Meet the sew line of your corner with the folded line of your pouch until it formed a triangle. Sew the triangle along the 4cm mark that you have made from the previous step. Please see the picture. (If you're still confused, please google how to square a pouch ^^)
Cut the excess fabric. Now you have finished making the main body!
7. Now we are going to make the lining for both pockets!
Meet the dacron with the bad side of your lining fabric. Quilt the lining to dacron (or batting). Fold and mark the vertical and horizontal edges, just like what we did with the zipper and the main body. Do this for both linings.
8. Now the thing is getting more serious. Sew both linings to the middle part of the zipper.
You remembered that you sew both zipper together, right? And on the inside, you can see there's this 0.5 cm of the zipper where both zippers are sewn together, right? Now sandwich the top of both linings with this joint part of the zipper. Meet the good side of both linings with the bad side of the zipper joint. Make sure you meet all the center marks.
Hand stitch first to make it easier. And do it one lining at a time.
Once you finished sewing the middle part, now take the unsewn part of your lining and meet its good side with the other side of the zipper (the part where the zipper meets the main body), so the zipper now is sandwiched between main body and lining.
Hand stitch first to make it easier to sew. Do this for both linings.
Square also all four corners of the lining, 2 cm from the corner.
11. Now turn the inside out via the 5 cm gap.
Close the gap by sewing it really close to the side.
Again, if you are interested, we have some pouches available on our Etsy store. Please check it here.
That's for now, see you later :)